- B.Sc. Geology, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, 1982
- M.Sc. Geophysics, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska, 1985
- Ph.D. Tectonics, University College London, UK, 1989
Where I grew up, the sun rises each day over glaciated volcanic peaks of the Cascade Range and sets over folded strata of the Coast Range. This incredible landscape stirred my curiosity from as early as I can remember. I would commonly ask how these ranges formed, why they were parallel, why the spacing of the volcanoes was so regular, why the ice that sculpted them was gone, and if the forces that shaped the landscape were still active? I loved maps and would stare at them for hours wondering what caused the global patterns that shaped the continents and ocean basins. These experiences convinced me that nature spoke a language of patterns, but I could not decipher the meaning.
My first geology course introduced me to the theory of plate tectonics, which provided a way for me to translate the pattern language of nature I had observed over the years into something meaningful. The astonishment I experienced stirred a passion in me that deepens with every new discovery about how the Earth works.
The greatest discovery I have ever made was finding Deb, whom I married as an undergraduate at the University of Oregon. My master’s thesis research brought us and our first two boys to Alaska. The active tectonic landscape of Alaska greatly influenced the pathway of my career. It was like going back in time several millions of years to when the Rocky Mountains were born and full of fire and ice.
So exactly how are mountains born? The mountains of Alaska are still not young enough to fully understand this. So, I begin exploring the tectonic evolution of southeast Asia, which is a nursery of mountain systems at various stages of development. This research led us to England to pursue my Ph.D. with the Southeast Asian Tectonics Studies Group at the University College London.
My professional career began as part of the geology faculty at West Virginia University, where I taught and conducted research for 9 years. By this time we had four boys, who are great field companions!
I joined the geology faculty at BYU in 1998. My research has expanded to investigating how tectonic processes impact humans. To assist with this research I founded a non-profit organization called In Harm's Way. The purpose of the NPO is to save lives through accurate forecasting of natural hazard events coupled with effective communication to those most at risk and the implementation of disaster mitigation strategies. See inharmsway.org
- 1998-present PROFESSOR OF GEOLOGY, Brigham Young University
- 1996-1998 ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF GEOLOGY, West Virginia University
- 1989-1995 ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF GEOLOGY, West Virginia University
- 2010 VISITING PROFESSOR, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, Arc-Continent Collision Processes
- 1997 VISITING PROFESSOR, Universitas Pembangan Nasional, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Natural Disaster Mitigation in Indonesia.
- 1991-1995 GEOLOGIST, U.S. Geological Survey, Branch of Alaskan Geology (intermittent).
- 1986-2010 GEOLOGIC CONSULTANT, U.S. Geological Survey/ U.S. Bureau of Mines; Exxon-Mobil, Chevron-Texaco, Union Texas Petroleum, British Petroleum, and ARCO (geologic evolution of Eastern Indonesia).
- 1988 Instructor, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
- 1986-89: RESEARCH ASSISTANT, University of London (structural field studies of mountain building processes in the active Banda and Taiwan orogens, and Alaska, Oman, and Cyprus).
- 1985-86 Director of Field Geology Course in Alaska Range, Univ. of Alaska,
- 1983-86 RESEARCH ASSISTANT, Geophysical Institute, Univ. of Alaska (structure, thermochronology, and paleomagnetism of Yukon-Koyukuk Province, Alaska).
- 1983 GEOLOGIST, Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys (field mapping in the Brooks Range and its metamorphic borderlands).
- 1982: GEOLOGIST INTERN, Unocal Oil Co., Ventura, CA (exploration of Ventura Basin, California)
- >75 invited talks at Universities, international conferences, government institutes, and Industry.
- Multiple research and teaching awards
- Several newspaper articles and television and radio interviews.
Mountain Building Processes and Hazards
1. Active and Ancient Collisional Processes
- Structural, petrological, geochemical, geophysical and geomorphological studies of Arc-Continental Collisions and Ophiolites.
- Active collisions of the Banda Arc (Indonesia, E. Timor), Himalaya, and Taiwan
- Ancient Collisions of Brooks Range (Alaska), Oman, Turkey, Himalaya, Tibet, California, and Utah
- Active Faults in Indonesia and the Wasatch Range, Utah
2. Natural Disaster Mitigation
- Compilation of historical records of major earthquakes and tsunamis in Indonesia since 1528
- Investigation of tsunami deposits to constrain tsunami inundation models of densely populated coastal communities.
- Numerical modeling of historical and potential tsunami events
- Construction of tsunami inundation maps for urban coastal areas throughout Java and E. Indonesia.
- Tsunami and earthquake hazards education throughout the Indonesia region and the Guerrero Coast of Mexico
- Seismic hazards education and disaster mitigation in Utah
Grants & Awards
- 2018-2021 Seismic Disaster Mitigation in Indonesia, Geoscientists Without Borders, $100,000
- 2015-2017 Tsunami Disaster Mitigation in Java, Indonesia, Geoscientists Without Borders, $100,000
- 2010-2013 Australia Down-Under: Structural Restoration of the Banda Arc-Continent Collision, NSF, $750,000
- 2008-2009 Training geologists in East Timor, $21,000
- 2003-2006: Geodynamic Evolution of the Active Banda Arc-Continent Collision, Indonesia, NSF, $310,000
- 2000-01: GPS Velocity Field of Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia, Undergraduate Mentorship Grant, $17,800
- 1999-00: Geological evolution of the Santaquin and Payson Lakes region, Utah, USGS and UGS, $41,000
- 1997: Geophysical Disaster Mitigation in Indonesia, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, $53,350
- 1992-95: Structural Restoration of the Banda Orogen, Indonesia, NSF, $103,200
- 1992: Thermal History of the Banda Orogen, Indonesia, Union Texas Petroleum, $49,910
- 1991: Geology and Geophysics of the Banda Orogen, Indonesia, Texaco/Chevron, $50,000
- 1990: Geological Investigation of East Timor, Indonesia, Union Texas Petroleum, $67,109
- 1986-89: Origin of the Brooks Range Ophiolite, Alaska, American Chemical Society, PRF; $32,208
- J. Keith Rigby Research Award (1999 and 2012)
- J. William Fulbright Foreign Research Scholarship for Tectonic Disaster Mitigation in Indonesia (1997)
- American Chemical Society-Petroleum Research Fellowship (1986-89)
- K.M. Reed Alaskan Geology Research Award (1986)
- “Tell me and I'll forget, involve me and I'll understand: Developing a digital and interactive geology textbook, $16,000 (2010)
- “Increasing Curiosity with Wonder-Full Virtual Field Trips”, $9025 (2000)
- “Geology in Motion: An Introductory Geology Course for the Internet”, $22,000 (1999)
- “Collaborative Learning Supported by Multimedia Presentations in Large Introductory Courses”, $2500.
- “From Rocks for Jocks to Earth System Science: Integration of Technology into the Geology Lab”, $4000.
- Department of Geological Sciences Outstanding Teaching Award (2006)
- University Outstanding Teacher Award, West Virginia University (1997)
- College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award, West Virginia University (1995)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Harris, R.A., Stone, D.B. and Turner, D.L., 1987. Tectonic implications of paleomagnetic and geochronologic data from the Yukon-Koyukuk basin, Alaska. Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., V. 99, p. 362-375.
- Harris, R.A. and Audley-Charles, M.G., 1987. Taiwan and Timor Neotectonics: a comparative review. Mem. Geol. Soc. China, No. 9, p. 45-61.
- Audley-Charles, M.G. and Harris, R.A., 1990. Allochthonous terranes of the Southwest Pacific and Indonesia. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. London, V. 331, p. 571-587.
- Harris, R.A. and Wu, S.,1991. Postcollisional extension in arc-continent collision zones, eastern Indonesia. Geology, V. 20, No. 1, p. 92-93.
- Harris, R.A., 1991. Temporal distribution of strain in the active Banda orogen: a reconciliation of rival hypotheses, in Orogenesis in Action, (eds. R. Hall, G. Nichols, and C. Rangin), Spec. V. Journal of Asian Earth Sci., V. 6, N0. 3/4, p. 373-386.
- Audley-Charles, M.G. and Harris, R.A., 1991. Allochthonous terranes of the SW Pacific and Indonesia, in Allochthonous Terranes (eds. J.F. Dewey, I.G. Gass, G.B. Curry, N.B.W. Harris, and A.M.C. Sengor), p. 115-131, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Harris, R.A., 1995. Geochemistry and tectonomagmatic origin of the Misheguk Massif, Brooks Range ophiolite belt, Alaska, LITHOS, V. 35, p. 1-25.
- Prasetyadi, C. and Harris, R.A., 1996. Hinterland structure of the active Banda arc-continent Collison, Indonesia: constraints from the Aileu Complex of East Timor. Proc. 25th Conv. Indonesian Assoc. Geol., p. 144-173.
- Foley, J.Y., Light, T.D., Nelson, S.W., and Harris, R.A., 1997. Mineral occurrences associated with mafic-ultramafic and related alkaline complexes in Alaska, in: Mineral Deposits of Alaska, R.J. Goldfarb and L.D. Miller eds. Economic Geology , Monograph 9, p. 396-449.
- Harris, R.A., Donaldson, K. and Prasetyadi, C., 1997. Geophysical Disaster Mitigation in Indonesia using GIS, Buletin Teknologi Mineral, No. 5, p. 2-10.
- Harris, R. A. , Sawyer, R. K. and Audley-Charles, M. G., 1998. Collisional melange development: geologic associations of active melange-forming processes with exhumed melange facies in the western Banda orogen, Indonesia, Tectonics, Vol. 17 , No. 3 , p. 458-480.
- Harris, R.A., 1998. Origin and tectonic evolution of the metamorphic sole beneath the Brooks Range ophiolite, Alaska, in: Architecture of the Central Books Range Fold and Thrust Belt, Arctic Alaska (ed. J.S. Oldow, and H.G. Ave Lallemant): Geol. Soc. of Amer. Special Paper324, p. 293-312.
- Merritts, Dorothy, Eby, Rebecca, Harris, R.A., Edwards, R. Lawrence, and Cheng, Hai, 1998. Variable Rates of Late Quaternary Surface Uplift Along the Banda Arc-Australian Plate Collision Zone, Eastern Indonesia, In: Stewart, I.S. and Vita-Finzi, C. (eds) Coastal Tectonics, Geological Society of London Special Publications No. 146, p. 213-224.
- Harris, R.A., Kaiser, J., Hurford, A.J. and Carter, A., 2000. Thermal history of Australian passive margin sequences accreted to Timor during Late Neogene arc-continent collision, Indonesia, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, V. 18, p. 47-69.
- Harris, R.A., and Long, T., 2000, The Timor ophiolite, Indonesia: Model or myth?, in Dilek, Y., Moores, E.M., Elthon, D., and Nicolas, A., eds., Ophiolites and Oceanic Crust: New Insights from Field Studies and the Ocean Drilling Program: Boulder, Colorado, Geological Society of America Special Paper 349, p. 327-335.
- Nelson, S. and Harris, R.A., 2001. The role of rheology in the tectonic history of the Colorado Plateau, in Erskine, M.C., Faulds, J.E., Bartley, J.M. and Rowley, P.D., eds., The Geologic Transition, High Plateaus to Great Basin – The Mackin Volume, Amer. Assoc. Petroleum Geol., Special Publication GB78, p. 189-203.
- Nelson, S., Harris, R.A., Dorais, M., Heizler, M., Constenious K., and Barnett, D., 2002, Basement Complexes in the Wasatch Fault, Utah provide new limits on crustal accretion, Geology, v. 30, p. 831-834.
- Charlton, T.R., Barber, A.J. Harris, R.A., Barkham, S.T., Bird P.R., Archibald, N.W., Morris, N.J., Nicoll, R.S., Owen, H.G. Owens, R.M., Sorauf, J.E., Taylor, P.D., Webster, G.D. and Wittaker, J.E. 2002, The Permian of Timor: stratigraphy, paleontology and paleogeography, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, V. 20, p. 719-774.
- Harris, R.A., Luthi, A., Mayo, A.L. and Koontz, W., 2002, Structural controls of hydrodynamic anisotropy in the West Elk Mine Region, western Colorado, Environmental and Engineering Geoscience. V. 8, p. 93-102.
- Harris, R.A., Moore, T.E., Wirth, K., Mull C.G. and McBride, J., 2003. comment on rooted Brooks Range ophiolite, Geology, V. 31, no. 1, p. 91-92.
- Cecil, C.B., Dulong, F.T., Harris, R.A., Cobb, J.C., Gluskoter, HG., and Nuroho, H., 2003. Observations on climate and sediment discharge in selected tropical rivers, Indonesia, in Cecil, C.B. and Edgar, T., Climate Controls on Stratigraphy, Soc. Sedimentary Geology Special Publication, no. 77, p 29-50.
- Harris, R.A., 2004, Geodynamic patterns of ophiolites and marginal basins of the Indonesian and New Guinea regions, in Dilek, Y. and Robinson, P.T., eds., “Ophiolite in Earth History”,Geol. Soc. London, Spec. Pub., 218, p. 481-505.
- Harris, R.A., 2004. Tectonic evolution of the Brooks Range ophiolite, northern Alaska,Tectonophysics, V. 392, p. 143-163.
- Dilek, Y. and Harris, R.A., 2004, Continental Margins of the Pacific Rim: Tectonophysics Special Issue, V. 392, 348.
- Bruhn, R.L. DuRoss, C.B., Harris, R.A. and Lund, W.R., 2005, Neotectonics and paleoseismology of the Wasatch Fault. Utah. In: Pederson, J. and Dehler, C.M., eds., Interior Western U.S., Geological Soc. America F. G., 6., p. 231-250.
- Harris, R., 2006. Rise and fall of the eastern Great Indonesian Arc recorded by the assembly, dispersion and accretion of the Banda Terrane, Timor. Gondwana Research, V. 10, p. 207-231.
- Chang, W., R. B. Smith, C. M. Meertens, and R. A. Harris (2006), Contemporary deformation of the Wasatch Fault, Utah, from GPS measurements with implications for interseismic fault behavior and earthquake hazard: Observations and kinematic analysis, J. Geophys. Res, 111, B11405, doi:10.1029/2006JB004326.
- Hammaker, S. and Harris, R.A., 2007, Fault-related groundwater compartmentalization in the East Tintic Mining District, Utah, in Willis, Grant C., Hylland, Michael D., Clark, Donald L., and Chidsey, Thomas C., Jr., editors, Central Utah – Diverse Geology of a Dynamic Landscape: Utah Geological Association Publication 36, p. 405-423.
- Harris, Ron, 2008, Himalayan nursery: inception and tectonic evolution of the active Banda arc-continent collision, Himalayan Geology, v. 29 (3), p. 29-31.
- Harris, Ron, Cecil, C.B., Dulong, F.T. and Nugroho, H., 2008, Is sediment discharge controlled more by climate or tectonics? Studies of suspended and dissolved loads from rivers in active orogens of Indonesia, Himalayan Geology v. 29 (3), p. 32- 33.
- Stephen T. Nelson, Alan L. Mayo, Stuart Gilfillan, Sarah J. Dutson, Ron Harris, Zoe K. Shipton, and David G. Tingey, 2009, Enhanced fracture permeability and accompanying fluid flow in the footwall of a normal fault: The Hurricane Fault at Pah Tempe Hot Springs, Washington County, Utah. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 121, no. 1-2, p. 236-246.
- Standley, Carl and Harris, Ron, 2009, Banda forearc basement accreted to the NW Australian continental margin: a geochemical, age and structural analysis of the Lolotoi metamorphic complex of East Timor, Tectonophysics, doi 10.1016/j.tecto.2009.01.034
- Nugroho, H., Harris R., Amin W. L. and Bilal M., 2009, Active plate boundary reorganization in the Banda arc-continent collision: insights from new GPS measurements, Tectonophysics, doi 10.1016/j.tecto.2009.01.026.
- Harris, R. A., Vorkink, M. W., Prasetyadi, C., Roosmawati, N., Zobell, E. and Apthorpe, M., 2009, Transition from subduction to arc-continent collision: Geological and neotectonic evolution of Savu, Indonesia, Geosphere; June 2009; v. 5; no. 3; p. 152–171; doi: 10.1130/GES00209.1
- Roosmawati, Nova and Harris, Ron, 2009, Surface uplift history of the incipient Banda arc-continent collision: geology and synorogenic foraminifera of Rote and Savu Islands, Indonesia, Tectonophysics, doi 10.1016/j.tecto.2009.04.009.
- Graham, C. R., Burgoyne, N., Cantrell, P., Smith, L., St. Clair, L., & Harris, R. (2009). TPACK development in science teaching: Measuring the TPACK confidence of inservice science teachers. TechTrends: Linking Research & Practice to Improve Learning, 53(5), 70-79.
- Harris, Ron, 2011, Exploring the Geology of Little Cottonwood Canyon: The Greatest Story Ever Told by Nine Miles of Rock, 2nd edition, 80 p,., Linus Press, Ronkonkoma, NY, ISBN 13: 978-1-60797-562-5.
- Anne Dangerfield, Ron Harris, Ender Sarıfakıoğlu and Yildirim Dilek, 2011, Tectonic evolution of the Ankara Mélange and associated Eldivan Ophiolite, near Hançili, Central Turkey, In: Wakabayashi, J. and Dilek, Y., eds., Mélanges: Processes of Formation and Societal Significance, Geological Society of America Special Paper 480, p. 143-170.
- Harris, Ron, 2011, The Nature of the Banda Arc-Continent Collision in the Timor Region, In: D. Brown and P.D. Ryan, Arc-Continent Collision, Frontiers in Earth Sciences, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-88558-0_7, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 163-211.
- Spencer, C.J., Harris, R.A., Sachan, H.K., Saxena, A., 2011, Depositional provenance of the Greater Himalayan Sequence, Garhwal Himalaya, India: Implications for Tectonic Setting, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, vol. 41, no. 3, pp.344-354, doi:10.1016/j.jseaes.2011.02.001.
- Spencer, C. J., R. A. Harris, and M. J. Dorais., 2012, The Metamorphism and Exhumation of the Himalayan Metamorphic Core, Eastern Garhwal region, India. Tectonics,doi:10.1029/2010TC002853.
- Spencer, C.J., Hoiland, C.W., Harris, R.A., Link, P.K., Balgord, E.A., 2012, A Neoproterozoic age for the Little Willow Formation, Utah: Identifying the earliest sediments of the rifting of Rodinia, J. of Pre-Cambrian Res., 204– 205, 57– 65.
- Major, J., Harris, R.A., Chiang, H-W., Shen, C.C., Cox, N., Nelson, S., Prasetyadi, C. and Rianto, A., 2013, Pleistocene hinterland evolution of the active Banda Arc: Surface uplift and neotectonic deformation recorded by coral terraces at Kisar, Indonesia, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 73 (2013) 149–161.
- Liu, Y.C. and Harris, R.A., 2013, Discovery of possible mega-thrust earthquake along the Seram Trough from numerical modeling of 1629 tsunami in the eastern Indonesian Region, Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-013-0597-y.
- Duffy, B., Quigley, M., Harris R.A. and Ring, U., 2013, Arc-parallel extrusion of the Timor sector of the Bandaarc-continent collision, Tectonics, v. 32, p. 1–20, doi:10.1002/tect.20048, 2013.
- Garrett W. Tate, Nadine McQuarrie, Douwe J. J. van Hinsbergen, Richard R. Bakker, Ron Harris, Sean Willett, Peter W. Reiners, Maria Giuditta Fellin, Morgan Ganerød and Willem Jan Zachariasse, 2014, Resolving spatial heterogeneities in exhumation and surface uplift in Timor-Leste: Constraints on deformation processes in young orogens, Tectonics, V. 33, No. 6, p. 1089–1112, DOI: 10.1002/2013TC003436.
- Aben, F. M., M. J. Dekkers, R. R. Bakker, D. J. J. Hinsbergen, W. J. Zachariasse, G. W. Tate, N. McQuarrie, R.A. Harris, and B. Duffy, 2014, Untangling inconsistent magnetic polarity records through an integrated rock magnetic analysis: A case study on Neogene sections in East Timor, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 15, 2531–2554, doi:10.1002/2014GC005294.
- Ogawa, Yujiro, Ryota Morib, Toshiaki Tsunogae, Yildirim Dilek and Ron Harris, 2014, New interpretation of the Franciscan mélange at San Simeon coast, California: tectonic intrusion into an accretionary prism, International Geology Review, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00206814.2014.968813. p 1-19.
- Liu, Z.-Y.C., Jani Radebaugh, Ron A. Harris, Eric H. Christiansen, Catherine D. Neish, Randolph L. Kirk, Ralph D. Lorenz, the Cassini RADAR Team, 2015, The tectonics of Titan: Global structural mapping from Cassini RADAR. Icarus, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2015.11.021.
- Spencer, C.J., Harris, R.A. and Major, J., 2015, Provenance of Permian–Triassic Gondwana Sequence units accreted to the Banda Arc in the Timor region: Constraints from zircon U–Pb and Hf isotopes, Gondwana Research, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2015.10.012.
- Tate, Garrett, Nadine McQuarrie, Douwe J.J. van Hinsbergen, Richard R. Bakker, Ron Harris, and Haishui Jiang, 2015, Australia going down under: Quantifying continental subduction during arc-continent accretion in Timor-Leste, Geosphere, doi:10.1130/GES01144.1.
- Liu, Yung-Chun, Radebaugh, Jani, Harris, R.A., Christiansen, E.H., Neish, C.D., Kirk, R.L., Lorenz, R.D., and the Cassini RADAR Team, 2015, The tectonics of Titan: Global structural mapping from Cassini RADAR: Icarus, v. , doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2015.11.021.
- Harris, R.A. and Major, J., 2016, Waves of destruction in the East Indies: the Wichmann Catalog of earthquakes and tsunamis in Indonesia from 1600-1877, Natural Hazards of the Indonesian Region, ed.: Cummins, P. R. &Meilano, I. (eds) Geohazards in Indonesia: Earth Science for Disaster Risk Reduction. Waves of destruction in the East Indies: the Wichmann Catalog of earthquakes and tsunamis in Indonesia from 1600-1877,, 1-38, http://doi.org/10.1144/SP441.2
- Fisher, T.L. and Harris, R.A., 2016, Reconstruction of the 1852 Banda Arc mega-thrust earthquake and tsunami, Natural Hazards, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-016-2345-6
- Harris, R.A., 2016, Not That Kind of Doctor: A Story of Natural Disaster Prevention in Indonesia, Assoc. of Envir. Engin. Geol. (AEG), V. 59, No. 2, p. 30-36.
- Brendan Duffy, Julie Kalansky, Kari Bassett, Ron Harris, Mark Quigley, Douwe J.J. van Hinsbergen, Lorna J. Strachan & Yair Rosenthal, 2017, Mélange versus forearc contributions to sedimentation and uplift, during rapid denudation of a young Banda forearc-continent collisional belt, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 138 (2017) 186–210.
- Garrett W. Tate, Nadine McQuarrie, Herwin Tiranda, Douwe J. J. van Hinsbergen, Ron Harris, Willem Jan Zachariasse, Maria Giuditta Fellin, Peter W. Reiners, Sean D. Willett, 2017, Reconciling regional continuity with local variability in structure, uplift and exhumation of the Timor orogen, Gondwana Research, V 49, p 364-386.
- Hall, S., Pettersson, J. Meservy, W., Harris. R., Agustinawati, D., Olson, J. and McFarlane, A., 2017, Awareness of tsunami natural warning signs and intended evacuation behaviors in Java, Indonesia, Natural Hazards, V. 89, p. 473-496.
- Ahern, A, Raddibaugh, J., Christensen, E., Harris, R. and Tass, S., 2017, Lineations and structural mapping of Io’s paterae and mountains: Implications for internal stresses, Icarus, 297, 14-32. 10.1016/j.icarus.2017.06.004.
- Wald, L.C., Kowallis, B.J. and Harris, R.A., 2010. Structural Analysis of Rock Canyon near Provo, Utah, BYU Geology Studies, V. 48, p. 53-78.
- Huang, C. and Harris, R. A. and 10 others, 2018. Juxtaposed sequence stratigraphy, temporal-spatial variations of sedimentation and development of modern-forming forearc Lichi Mélange in North Luzon Trough forearc basin onshore and offshore eastern Taiwan: An overview. Earth-Science Reviews, 182, 102–140, doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2018.01.015.
- Sarah Hall, Chad Emmett, Amelia Cope, Ron Harris, Gilang Damar Setiadi, William Meservy and Bryce Berrett, 2019, Tsunami knowledge, information sources, and evacuation intentions among tourists in Bali, Indonesia, Journal of Coastal Conservation, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11852-019-00679-x
- Chiou‐Ting Lin, Ron Harris, Wei‐Dong Sun and Guo‐Liang Zhang, 2019, Geochemical and Geochronological Constraints on the Origin and Emplacement of the East Taiwan Ophiolite, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, V. 20, Issue 14, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GC007902.
- Xinchang Zhang, Yuejun Wang, Ron Harris, Yi Yan, and Yi Zheng, 2019, Discovery of Middle–Late Devonian and Early Permian magmatic events in East Asia and their implication for the Indosinian orogeny in South China: Insights from the sedimentary record, Geol. Society America Bulletin, https://doi.org/10.1130/B35032.1.
- Meyer, Eric and Harris, Ron, 2020, Discovery of the Bady toreva near urban areas along the southern Wasatch Rang, Utah, Rocky Mountain Geology, v. 55, no. 1, p. 55–73, doi:10.24872/rmgjournal.55.1.55.
- Hayden Ringer, Jared Whitehead, Justin Krometis, Ron Harris (13 others), 2021, Methodological reconstruction of historical seismic events from anecdotal accounts of destructive tsunamis: a case study for the great 1852 Banda arc mega-thrust earthquake and tsunami, J. of Geophys. Res, doi: 10.1029/2020JB021107.
- Bias, Joseph, Asimow, Paul and Harris, Ron, 2020, Tectonochemistry of the Brooks Range Ophiolite, Alaska, Lithosphere, V. 2020, Article ID 7866789, 17 pages, doi.org/10.2113/2020/7866789.