The graduate program in Geological Sciences is designed to prepare scientists to find solutions to some of societies most vexing energy and environmental problems. The department offers one degree: Geology-MS. Areas of specialization include: Earth Science Education, Environmental Geology, and Geology. The expected duration of the MS program is two years for full-time students who enter without deficiencies. The MS degree is designed to give the student a solid foundation in theoretical and applied aspects of geology and a strong research experience.
BYU MS in Geology is a superb choice for capable students who value rigorous academic development, world-class research opportunities, and outstanding post-graduate career placement. Students have the opportunity to work closely with our diverse 16-member faculty whose specialties include mineralogy and petrology, petroleum geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, structure and tectonics, planetary geology, glaciology/climatology and paleontology. Students conduct research across the globe in regions as diverse as Southeast Asia, the Himalayas, Switzerland, Turkey, and New Zealand.
Our graduate students' thorough academic preparation, coupled with the department's strong academic reputation, lead to prime post-graduation opportunities. Numerous graduates proceed to some of the best PhD programs in the country. Additionally, students are consistently placed with prominent organizations such as Exxon-Mobile, Chevron, and Anadarko, as well as viable jobs in the environmental and mining industries.
- GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or above in all subjects.
- GPA of 3.0 or above in undergraduate major courses.
- GPA of 3.0 or above in undergraduate chemistry, physics, computer science and mathematics courses.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) score of 50 percentile, or above, as an average for the three general areas (verbal, quantitative, analytical).
- English Language Proficiency – All international applicants including Permanent Residents must show evidence of English proficiency. Graduate Studies accepts TOEFL or IELTS. TOEFL minimum iBT=85 Total with 22 in speaking and 21 in all other categories. IELTS minimum = Total band score of 7.0 (minimum band of 6.0 in each module).